Thursday, December 6, 2012

One Bedroom and Common Space Design






















































 

















For this project I built on the design that I created for the two bedroom bathroom and kitchen design. After completing those two designs I learned a lot about what worked and what didn't work. One thing that I learned from the kitchen project was furniture placement. I learned that I needed to work on spacing as well as the basic arrangement of the furniture. Another thing that I learned from the kitchen design is that I needed to work on maximizing the whole space of the kitchen and utilizing all the space given to create the most functional design. One place that I know I improved on was with the cabinetry. In the first kitchen project I left a lot of awkward, and unused space above the cabinets. In this project however I extened the length of the upper cabinets and also added a soffit to create a much more finished and uniform look. I also completely changed the materials that I used in the kitchen. I lightened up this kitchen by using light cabinets, counters and tile to help balance the lack of light from there being no windows in the main living space. The dark floors help to balance the lightness of everything. Another aspect of this design that I really wanted to make a focus is to have separation of living space with personal space. To do this I created a little hallway so that you can not see the bathroom or the bedroom from the living area. I also created a lot of storage with a hall closet and also with a large closet in the bedroom. The bathroom too I made improvements on from the previous project. I changed the materials to make them lighter and also have the added benefit of having light from the windows. The bathroom is ADA accessible and the toilet can be acessed from the front and the side and there is a 60 inch turn radius in the bathroom as well. Overall I am very proud of the way my designs for this project turned out and think that the final product is a huge improvement over the previous two designs that I created.

No comments:

Post a Comment