Friday, July 27, 2012




These posters I created from my inspiration which was a rock. The start of this project started with picking a designer. I chose Clodagh who is an Irish born designer who focuses on simplicity and functionality. I also was inspired from the design mantra of Clodagh which is Contemplate, Cleanse, Clarify and Create. I chose this as my second inspiration to create my models because I wanted to focused on simplicity since I also chose a very simple rock.

At first trying to draw sketches for my model was challenging because I was just looking at the rock and I didn't really see anything. Then, when I started to get used to thinking abstractly I started to look at different aspects of it such as the texture and the colors and the actual shape of the rock. Once I got past that block it became much easier for me and I began to mainly focus on the texture.

The texture of the rock is what inspired the seat and shelter. I included all the different aspects such the lines of the rock which is shown in the straight part of the bench and also the curve is shown in the shelter aspect and also the rounded part of the bench. Although my bench is very simple, that is exactly what I wanted to achieve with my model. I think that the bench is functional and also, if it were to be built, would be very beautiful. The materials I chose for this are very neutral and natural which I think would be perfect for the outdoors but also sustainable which is relevant to Clodagh.

I think that this whole project was a huge learning experience for me. I think that learning to start with an inspiration and then going to 2D and then 3D models and then into a functional piece of furniture is something that I will be able to continue to do and is a completely new way of doing things. As far as the presentation of the posters and actually making them I am very pleased with how they turned out. I like the posters I made by hand the best and the one I created on InDesign the least because I think there is too much stuff on it and I'm not totally happy with the layout. Overall though I really enjoyed this project and am very happy with how it turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment